Friday, April 5, 2013

UpOver?

Well, if Aus is 'Down Under', then maybe Europe is 'Up Over'? Probably not, but I'm going to run with it for now..

I've been on the other side of the world now for a week, yet it feels like so much longer! When you're constantly still trying to adjust to the new time zone, adding in the change of daylight saving, plus calculating what time it is back home, it's hard to remember what day it is. But it's Thursday, and so much has happened in the past week!

First off I should recount the last month before I headed away because I did have a great few last weeks in Aus. The highlight had to be coming 2nd in the Oceania Road Champs in Canberra in a really tough race with a class field. My happiness is tinged with a slight amount of regret at not doing things a little differently in the race and the 'what might have been's', yet I also couldn't be happier. Since finishing up at PMP I've had a great summer of training and racing which all culminated in getting my chance in this race, and I want to thank all the girls in the Specialized Securitor team for believing in me, as well as my coach Stu and all my friends and training buddies that have been there! Surrounding yourself with people who believe in you, even when you might let doubts slip in, is something I'm finding is the key.

Oci's Podium
 The other highlight has been Melbourne's weather! My oh my it was amazing to have a real summer and to train in the sunshine every day. I think I only rode in the rain once in 2+ months, and the resulting tan made the girls in England jealous when I arrived, although I fear it's fading already...

So where to next? Well I landed in London to 2 degrees, a rude shock when 30 hours earlier it had been 32 and sunny in Melbourne.. But things are on the improve. I spent a few days in London with Rene my team manager and his partner Marion who was amazing and cooked up a storm every night, even making a Sunday Roast! I fitted up my new Bianchi Sempre Pro and had 2nd Christmas getting all the goodies to go along with it including some Lake Shoes and a Kask Helmet. Kit is still coming, but it's going to look awesome! For now I get to rock out some sweet Rapha gear, which is so comfy.
New Bike!
I arrived in Girona a couple of days ago to stay with Jo until my first race in Holland next weekend, and after that things get fairly busy with racing which I'm looking forward to! The weather here is a good 15 degrees warmer than London, and is constantly on the improve, so hopefully Belgium and Holland follow suit fairly soon too!
Racing at Hog Hill

No comments: