Monday, July 2, 2012

The Tour that almost wasn't

The North West Tour.. Round 3 of the NRS. The reason I didn't go to America to race dairylands, and I almost didn't even make it to the start line!
The only reason I did was thanks to some very special people who I owe massive favours to now!! Thank you to those that helped me. You know who you are.
Once there, I believed I was meant to be. Everything happens for a reason, and I channeled that as much as I could for the 4 days. Enjoyed the racing, the company of those I'd not normally get to stay with, and focused on staying positive for the race.
So the actual race. My prologue was pretty appalling. I had nothing and was just glad it was over.. Stage 2's crit was a disaster for everyone pretty much. With a crash happening 7 minutes in to the 30 min race and then no one knowing if we were still neutral or not. At least it was safer that way because it was a very nervy bunch. All of a sudden the 3 to I sign was flashed and the race was over!
Stage 3. The queen stage with a 12k climb up to the finish. I just don't have the climbing legs yet to go with the moves, and was happy to hang on to the chase bunch until a couple of k to go. I'd have liked to have gone a bit better, but was ok with the day. Although I never want to be that cold again. It was awful.
Clear Skies for Stage 4, but geez it was COLD!

Stage 4 & 5 were very much the same as each other. Flat stages, some attacks, nothing let get much rope with Pensar Hawk reeling everything back in. The finish to Stg 5 a small break managed to get a few seconds on the main field within the last 5k and held off the charging bunch! Chloe McInosh who'd been the most aggressive all day managed a 3rd which was well deserved! I spent some solo time off the front in the middle of the race, but it was to no avail. Oh well, got to try these things! You just never know.

After the race was over it was straight back in to the car for the trip to Sydney airport and home. A very long day, but with only 72hrs until I had to fly out to Europe, there's a lot that had to get done!

Link to the YouTube video of the Tour Highlights thanks to SBS - http://t.co/HO9HEdmS

No comments: